Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Empire State of Mind

There is one major perk of being out of school now and traveling on a train without internet: the opportunity to read for pleasure. While in school, this is a foreign concept. In an MBA program, there are too many cases to read, too many assignments to write, and too many group meetings to attend that there is just not enough time in the day to enjoy a good book. Fortunately, I am now at a stage where I can appease my love of reading.

During my NYC trip, I fittingly enjoyed two books about chefs from the New York culinary scene. My “epicuriosity” led me to Heat and Blood, Bones & Butter. Interestingly, the books brought to mind two cases I had read in my Small Business Management course: “Make Green Delicious: Sustainability at Jamie Kennedy Kitchens” and “Tutti Matti,” both about small restaurants.

My trip taught me a lot about the business environment and opportunities in New York. I was also heartened by my experience seeing friends from my distant past. Though our life updates have been splashed across Facebook news feeds and we have kept up with each other through digital messages, my heart was warmed by the experience of meeting up in person after years of distance. Additionally, I was comforted by the time spent with friends (new and old), family, and business contacts who openly welcomed me back into the city and encouraged me to stay. It was hard not hear "Empire State of Mind" mentally playing in background music throughout my time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment